With a Masterbuilt smoker, you can enjoy the delicious taste of smoked salmon in your own home. Whether it’s for an intimate dinner with family or to impress guests at a backyard party, a Masterbuilt smoked salmon will turn any meal into a flavor-filled experience! Infused with delicious smoky flavors and cooked to perfection every time, electric smokers are sure to make cooking easy while delivering moist and flaky fish.
If you are looking to try something new or perhaps a beginner who just wants to learn, this guide will provide everything you need for a Masterbult smoked salmon. It covers all the basics, such as:
- What is a Masterbuilt smoker?
- How long to smoke a salmon?
- An easy recipe, and much more!
What is a Masterbuilt Smoker?
If you want to add a unique, smoky flavor and texture to your home-cooked meals, then the Masterbuilt electric smoker is the perfect tool! With its heating element that produces both heat and smoke, it cleverly circulates them around the food inside the smoker. Applying a combination of heat and smoke gives the food an incomparable smoky flavor and texture that only this technique can offer.
Whether you’re hosting an intimate gathering or a large get-together, Masterbuilt smokers are an excellent choice for all your BBQ needs. They usually have a cabinet-style design with front doors that allow easy access to wood chip containers and windows to monitor food. These smokers come in various sizes designed to suit whatever size crowd you may have. Plus, they feature built-in thermometers and digital controls, too – so regulating temperature is easy.
Features and Capabilities
Masterbuilt smokers are versatile and can be used to smoke an array of foods, ranging from meats, poultry, and fish to many types of vegetables. Not only that, but they offer a range of cooking techniques, including slow cooking, roasting, grilling, and more! Plus, with the distinct wood chips available such as hickory, apple, cherry, mesquite, or others, you can imbue your creations with tasty flavors.
How to Smoke Salmon on an Electric Smoker?
Smoking salmon on an electric smoker is an effortless process that produces delectable outcomes. Follow these steps to smoke salmon in a Masterbuilt smoker and savor its mouth-watering flavors!
Cleaning and filleting the fish:
To begin, thoroughly clean the fish of any scales, bones, or other particles. If you prefer fillets over the entire fish, cut off its head and tail while removing all bones.
While not a required step, I highly recommend brining the salmon to lock in flavor and moisture. All you need is some water, salt, sugar, and any herbs or spices you choose; then, submerge the fish for at least an hour. Brining guarantees that your fish will be juicy and scrumptious!
Seasoning the salmon: After delicately brining your fish, take it out and carefully pat away any excess liquid with a paper towel. Season the fillet to perfection with salt, pepper, or other desired herbs and spices to bring out its fullest flavor.
Setting up the smoker
1. Choosing the right wood chips: When smoked, various types of wood chips can significantly alter the taste of salmon. Incorporating alder, apple, cherry, or maple is an excellent way to add delicious flavors and aromas to your fresh catch!
2. Preparing the smoker for smoking: To begin cooking, you must first follow the manufacturer’s instructions for setting up and preheating your smoker. Once warm and ready to go, add a few wood chips to its tray or pan. Now you are prepared to make some delectable smoked dishes!
Smoking the salmon
Carefully position the fish on the smoker’s rack, ensuring that it is not overlapping or in contact with any other piece.
The optimal smoking temperature for salmon is 180-225°F, and the length of time needed to adequately smoke your fish depends on how thick it is and how much smokiness you’d like. Generally speaking, this varies from 1.5-2.5 hours.
After your smoked salmon is cooked to perfection, take it out of the smoker and let it cool for a few minutes. Afterward, enjoy this delightful dish, hot or cold, with any side dishes or sauces you desire!
The aforementioned steps are merely a general guideline, and the temperature, duration, and wood chips may vary depending on your chosen recipe.
How Long Do You Smoke Salmon?
The perfect smoking duration for salmon depends on numerous factors, like the kind of fish, its thickness, and how smoky you prefer it.
The thickness of the fish: To reach your desired level of smokiness, the thickness of the fish will affect how long it needs to be smoked. If you’re looking for a mild smoky flavor, smoke it for a shorter duration. For those seeking an intense smoky taste, keep smoking until you achieve that intense flavor!
Read more >> How long to smoke pork shoulder at 250?
Recommended smoking times:
To properly smoke wild-caught salmon fillets that are 1/2 inch thick, aim for two to three hours of smoking at 180-225°F. Farm-raised fish fillets that measure an inch in thickness should remain on the smoker for 3-4 hours within this same temperature range. Ultimately, you want to make sure your smoked salmon has reached a safe internal temperature – simply use a meat thermometer and look out for doneness! The internal temperature of the salmon should be around 145F to be considered fully cooked and safe to eat.
It’s key to remember that the aforementioned smoking times are just guidelines and may differ depending on your recipe and type of smoker. Additionally, don’t forget to use a meat thermometer to make sure that the fish has achieved its desired doneness.
Masterbuilt Smoked Salmon Recipe
Here is a delicious recipe for a Masterbuilt smoked salmon. This recipe uses a simple brine and a blend of spices to create a flavorful and moist fish.
- 2 lbs of fresh salmon fillets
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of black peppercorns
- 2 tsp of dried dill
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- Wood chips of your choice (I recommend alder, apple, or cherry)
- Begin your process by combining the water, kosher salt, brown sugar, black peppercorns, dried dill, garlic powder, onion powder,, and paprika in a large bowl to make the brine.
- Submerge your salmon fillets into the brine and make sure they are fully covered. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, then put it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Take the salmon out of the brine and gently dab it with paper towels to absorb any excess moisture.
- Enhance the flavor of your salmon with a generous sprinkle of salt, pepper, and any additional herbs or spices you desire.
- Carefully following the manufacturer’s directions, set up your Masterbuilt smoker and preheat it to a temperature range of 180-225°F.
- Once your smoker is hot and ready, add the wood chips of your preference to its tray or pan.
- Ensure that the salmon fillets do not touch or overlap by arranging them separately on the smoker’s rack.
- Gently smoke the salmon for 2-4 hours or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F.
- After carefully smoking the salmon, remove it and let it rest for several minutes. Slice and serve when cool enough to touch!
Tips for the perfect Masterbuilt smoked salmon.
- For the finest outcomes, make sure to utilize fresh and excellent quality fish.
- Diversify your tastes with a range of wood chips to craft unique flavor profiles.
- Brining the salmon before smoking is a highly effective way to ensure that your fish remains juicy and packed with flavor.
- Ensure your fish is cooked to perfection and safe for consumption by using a meat thermometer.
- Take the smoky flavor of your salmon to the next level by pairing it with your favorite sauce or side dish.
Create the ideal Masterbuilt smoked salmon every time you fire up your electric smoker! With these easy-to-follow tips and instructions, smoking this versatile fish has never been easier or more delectable. Try it now for an unforgettable tasting experience!
With a Masterbuilt smoker and these basic steps, you can now create restaurant-quality smoked salmon in your own kitchen for yourself or your family members!